If there is one thing I could tell clients above all things it would be this: “Calm the Heck Down.” And when I say this, I mean it in so many ways.
- SLOW DOWN. Slow Down is code for Calm Down. People are going a mile a minute these days. And for what? Does going any faster make you happier? Feel less stressed? Calmer? I doubt it. Take a look at your to do list and ask yourself if you can actually get everything on there done. And you spread some of those tasks out? What is crucial to get done today? And think about what small way you could put some time aside to just be. In the quiet. It can be a time of meditation or of reflection. But 10-15 minutes just for you. Some people like to garden. Some people like to walk. Some listen to music. It really doesn’t matter. But experiment with some “you time”.
- BREATHE. We hear this one a lot. “Take a deep breathe and all will be well.” Of course it’s not that simple. But there is truth to it. Breathe is one way to calm the heck down very quickly. It doesn’t make your stressful situation go away. That’s true. But it does get you in a place where you can deal with that situation in a better way. There are loads of techniques out there. I personally like the 4-7-8.
“The 4-7-8 Breath (also known as the Relaxing Breath) is the perfect, portable stress antidote, as it puts the practitioner in a relaxed state almost immediately. As Dr. Weil demonstrates, It takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere.”
- SAY NO. Remember that do to list? And how full and long it is? Saying no is the new yes. Try it. Doesn’t it feel like a lot of times we say yes to things we don’t really want to do because we feel like we have to? Saying NO is calming. You don’t have to do EVERYTHING. In fact, you can’t.
- What can you delegate? Kids can do chores and take some of those items right off of your list if you’ve got them on there:
- Who are you really trying to impress with trying to DO EVERYTHING? Think about that one.
- Does it really have to get done this minute? Take a minute and prioritize. What is important to YOU?
- LEAN ON YOUR BUDDIES. Whether it’s a friend, your spouse or partner or a family member…..you’ve got your peeps and they are there to be there for you just like you are there for them. We are not meant to slog through or enjoy this thing called life alone. Reach out to someone to see how they are doing and what they may need. You will find they want to be there for you too. Feel like you don’t have anyone to lean on? Join a few FaceBook groups that peak your interest. Call an old friend. Join a local club. Go to a coffee shop and strike up a conversation with someone. Connect. Connections make a difference in calming down.
- MOVE YOUR BOD. Get a move on! Walk, dance, run…..it doesn’t matter. Just move. Movement is calming. You don’t need to go on a 5 mile run. You just need to move for 30 minutes or so. Even if that’s in 10 minute intervals. Feeling overwhelmed? MOVE!!!!!!!!!
- EAT REAL FOOD. Even if you start here. Over a small amount of time, this will make a difference in calming down. Chemicals in processed foods mess with our hormones and ultimately how we handle stress and situations. If it doesn’t have a label, it’s real all on it’s own. Start with snacks and work your way up to meals. Reach out to Coaches here at Your Healthy Hustle to tackle this. We’ve got you!
SLOW DOWN, BREATHE, SAY NO, LEAN ON IN, MOVE THAT BOD AND EAT REAL FOOD……